In This Section
There are two main types of emergency contraception available:
- The emergency contraceptive pill which can be taken up to 120 hours (5 days) after sex
- The intrauterine device (IUD) – sometimes called the coil – which can be fitted up to 5 days after sex or later in some circumstances
You can obtain emergency contraception from your own GP or practice nurse. If this is not possible, consider the following options:
- Call Sexual Health Sheffield on 0114 226 8888
- Visit any pharmacy. Charges may apply, but…
- If you’re aged between 14 to 25 years old you will be entitled to free emergency contraception from one of our approved pharmacies:
- Wicker Pharmacy, 55 Wicker, Sheffield S3 8HT. Open 8.30am-10pm Monday to Saturday; 10am-8pm Sundays and bank holidays & 1pm-5pm Christmas Day.
- Sheffield Late Night Pharmacy, 277 Fulwood Road, Sheffield S10 3BD. Open 7am-10pm Monday to Saturday; 12pm-10pm on Sundays; 10am-10pm on Christmas Day and other bank holidays.
Our approved pharmacies also offer free condoms and STI self-testing kits.
- Call NHS111, you may be offered an evening or weekend GP appointment.
- Contact the NHS Walk-in Centre on Broad Lane, Sheffield S1 3PB to check availability. Open 8am-10pm, 7 days a week including bank holidays.BD