Sexual Health Sheffield is an NHS service provided by Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Tel: 0114 226 8888
Sexual Health Sheffield
(Formerly Department of Genito-Urinary Medicine) Entrance 11a, B Road
Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Sheffield S10 2JF
We provide a range of services at our clinics, including:
- free range of contraception including Emergency Contraception
- free chlamydia testing and treatment
- free walk-in clinics (appointments subject to availability on the day)
- free condoms
- free hepatitis B testing and vaccination
- free hepatitis C testing
- free HIV testing
- free post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- free pregnancy tests, information and advice
- free youth clinic
- free Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing
- free clinics for men who have sex with men
- free vasectomies
The NHS staff at our clinics include the following people;-
Our most senior Doctors who have extensive sexual health expertise and experience – other clinic staff often to refer to Consultants for further advice.
The doctors at our clinics treat and manage patients with symptoms, treat patients who require a contraceptive procedure and also train other healthcare professionals to expand their skills and knowledge in sexual health.
Our nurses examine patients, perform tests and give results and can administer treatment for some infections. Nurses can also prescribe emergency contraception (also known as the morning-after pill), and can discuss HIV and other tests both before and after. All of our NHS nurses are highly trained and experienced.
Our health advisors deal with partner notification (where consent has been given), and offer both pre-test and post-test discussion for HIV testing. They can help you with complex or stressful situations, or with delivering difficult news.
Sexual Health Promotion & Outreach
Health Promotion & Outreach staff working together with clinical staff to provide you with the best sexual health promotion information and resources, as well as providing some sexual health services in the community i.e. schools, colleges and Universities
Education and Training
Sexual Health Sheffield provides a range of training for professionals. We also invest in the development of our own staff.
Our administration team includes our receptionists, medical secretaries and managers. They work closely with clinical staff to ensure we provide the best possible Sexual Health services.
Our staff work to a number of national guidelines, including those set by:
- British HIV Association (BHIVA)
- British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
- Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (FSRH)
We also follow our own service and NHS Trust local policies and procedures, and other national guidelines which take into account the requirements of both BHIVA and BASHH.