HIV/STI Screening and Treatment
In This Section
Services available in our STI Testing and Treatment Service include:
- Sexual health screening service for people who have no symptoms
- Sexual health screening for people with common STI symptoms
- Complex sexual health screening service for people who have symptoms or who are at higher risk of sexual ill health
- HIV testing and access to support services
- Self-screening kits for chlamydia and gonorrhoea available during clinic hours
- Support to reduce sexual risk
- Hepatitis vaccination for people in communities at greater risk of acquiring Hepatitis infection
- Free condoms and lube for men and women of all ages (condoms help protect against both STIs and pregnancy)
- Assessment of and access to Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) treatment for people who have recently been exposed to possible HIV infection (this treatment needs to start within 72 hours)
- Assessment and access to PrEP for those who are eligible
- Support in contacting and informing partners of the need to access STI testing
If you attend for an STI screen and are concerned about a potential recent exposure to a sexually transmitted infection, a repeat window period test to confirm your status may also be advised:
- For chlamydia & gonorrhoea – a window period screen would be advised for after 2 weeks from potential exposure.
- For HIV, a window period screen would be advised for 45 day from potential exposure. (If you are concerned that you have been exposed to HIV within the last 72 hours please see information on accessing PEP here)
- For syphilis, please allow a window period of 90 days from potential exposure for repeat screening.
Visit our At A Glance page or call us on: 0114 226 8888 for further information about how to access HIV/STI screening services.
Sexual health Sheffield DOES NOT offer private testing for IVF treatment, travel and work visas. Private testing can be obtained from your GP or Travel clinic based at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital