HIV/STI Screening and Treatment
In This Section
Due to covid-19 the Sexual Health Service in Sheffield has had to dramatically change how it works.
We are not yet in a position to return to normal working practices as a large percentage of our staff have been deployed to work on the wards during this pandemic. Unfortunately we are unable to give a timeframe for when routine services will resume, and so until we do some information on the website relating to clinic services, times and accessibility are not accurate.
There are currently no non-essential face-to-face appointments but please telephone us on 0114 226 8888 for sexual health information and advice.
If you are aged 16 or over and living in Sheffield, STI self testing kits are available to request here
If you have been advised to attend the Drive Through Blood Test Service – please find instructions of how to access it here
You must wear a face covering when you come to our hospitals or community health centres to help us limit the transmission of COVID-19 and keep you, our patients and staff as safe as possible.
Update: Break The Chain – Time To Test Campaign
A new study by Terrence Higgins Trsut and 56 Dean Street has found 84% of us haven’t had sex outside our own household during lockdown. This means if you test now – you will get an accurate result, even if it’s a newly acquired infection.
With around 7500 people unaware that they are living with HIV around the UK, testing for HIV puts you in control of your sexual health. Whatever the result – support is available.
Click here to order a free HIV test you can do at home
Sexual Health Sheffield provides a range of free and confidential services including free testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV.
There are many different types of STIs and they can affect people differently. Some STIs have symptoms including discomfort and irritation or can make it painful going to the toilet or having sex. Other STIs may have long-term effects on your health, including your ability to have children (infertility) and some STIs have no symptoms at all.
If you are sexually active, a regular sexual health check-up is recommended – especially if you change partners.
Services available in our STI Testing and Treatment Service include:
- Express sexual health screening service for people who have no symptoms
- Sexual health screening for people with common STI symptoms
- Complex sexual health screening service for people who have symptoms or who are at higher risk of sexual ill health
- HIV testing and access to support services
- Support to reduce sexual risk
- Hepatitis vaccination for people in communities at greater risk of acquiring Hepatitis infection
- Free condoms and lube for men and women of all ages (condoms help protect against both STIs and pregnancy)
- Assessment of and access to Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) treatment for people who have recently been exposed to possible HIV infection (this treatment needs to start within 72 hours)
- Support in contacting and informing partners of the need to access STI testing
Visit our Appointment Times page for information about where to access HIV/STI Screening services or tel: 0114 226 8888
Sexual health Sheffield DO NOT offer private testing for IVF treatment, travel and work visa’s but for individuals accessing clinic for tests related to Sexually transmitted infection where certification is needed this can be made available for an additional charge.
Private testing can be obtained from your GP or Travel clinic based at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital