HIV/STI Screening and Treatment
In This Section
Sexual Health Sheffield provides a range of free and confidential services including free testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV.
There are many different types of STIs and they can affect people differently. Some STIs have symptoms including discomfort and irritation or can make it painful going to the toilet or having sex. Other STIs may have long-term effects on your health, including your ability to have children (infertility) and some STIs have no symptoms at all.
If you are sexually active, a regular sexual health check-up is recommended – especially if you change partners.
Services available in our STI Testing and Treatment Service include:
- Express sexual health screening service for people who have no symptoms
- Sexual health screening for people with common STI symptoms
- Complex sexual health screening service for people who have symptoms or who are at higher risk of sexual ill health
- HIV testing and access to support services
- Support to reduce sexual risk
- Hepatitis vaccination for people in communities at greater risk of acquiring Hepatitis infection
- Free condoms and lube for men and women of all ages (condoms help protect against both STIs and pregnancy)
- Assessment of and access to Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) treatment for people who have recently been exposed to possible HIV infection (this treatment needs to start within 72 hours)
- Support in contacting and informing partners of the need to access STI testing
We are pleased to announce that PrEP is now available free of charge from our clinic for anyone who is eligible. You do not have had to have taken PrEP before to be eligible.
PrEP is free on the NHS and is being rolled out across the country and is available from our clinic at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
PrEP is a drug which, if taken correctly, is highly effective in preventing the onward transmission of HIV.
If you would be interested in accessing PrEP or for more information please contact us on 0114 226 8888 to arrange a telephone appointment.
For information and updates on PrEP please visit iwantprepnow.co.uk
Visit our Appointment Times page for information about where to access HIV/STI Screening services or tel: 0114 226 8888
Sexual health Sheffield DO NOT offer private testing for IVF treatment, travel and work visa’s but for individuals accessing clinic for tests related to Sexually transmitted infection where certification is needed this can be made available for an additional charge.
Private testing can be obtained from your GP or Travel clinic based at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital